Be the first to get Free Digital Marketing Resources + Insights
Trusted by 50,000 nonprofits
Instagram Fundraising for Your Nonprofit
2 min to read ✭ In this post, you'll learn how to use Instagram Fundraising for your nonprofit.
By now, you’ve probably heard about Facebook fundraising and many of you are already taking advantage of it, which is great! But Instagram is not to be overlooked. Did you know that Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users? So let’s dive in to learn how your nonprofit can take advantage of this audience.
Adding the Donate Button to Your Profile
First, you’ll want to add the donate button to your Instagram profile. In order to do this, you must meet just three criteria. First, be a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit in the US. Second, enroll and be approved to use Facebook Charitable Giving Tools. And third, have an Instagram Business account. If you are already holding fundraisers on Facebook, then you are ready to start on Instagram! If not, we would highly encourage getting approved in order to collect donations on both of these powerful platforms. Here are the steps to add the button to your profile.
1. Go to your Settings and tap on Business.
2. Go to Donations.
3. Tap Add Donate Button to Profile.
That’s it! Now when people look up your nonprofit on Instagram, they’ll be able to donate right from your profile.
Using the Donate Button in Your Stories
Another Instagram feature you can utilize to generate donations is the donate sticker in Instagram stories. It’s extremely important that your nonprofit is posting stories in addition to static posts as 500 million people use Instagram stories every day and one-third of the most viewed stories are from businesses. In order to use the donate sticker:
1. Tap on the camera icon to take a photo or video or the blue plus in the top left corner to add to your story.
2. Tap on the little box with a smiley face in the top row.
3. If you scroll down, you should see a sticker that says Donation.
4. Tap on the Donation sticker and search for the nonprofit you would like the donations to go to.
5. The sticker will pop up on your story and while it will have default text already on it, you can actually customize that to whatever you would like it to say. You can also tap the color wheel at the top of your story to change the color of the donate sticker.
Then you’re ready to post! While you can use the donate sticker on your own stories, we would also recommend you encourage your followers to do the same. This can be a great strategy to widen your audience and really connect with the younger generation who are starting to give more each and every year.