Be the first to get Free Digital Marketing Resources + Insights
Trusted by 50,000 nonprofits
How to Utilize Facebook Offline Event Tracking
2 min to read ✭ In this post, we will teach you what Facebook Offline Event Tracking is, why it's beneficial, and how to set it up.
What is Facebook Offline Event Tracking?
The Facebook pixel revolutionized the way marketers and businesses track their web traffic success. However, these developments still didn’t help local organizations and businesses determine whether their Facebook advertising actually resulted in more leads or sales. For example, if an organization is running Facebook ads and a customer comes into the physical location to donate/buy goods, how does the organization prove the Return on Investment (ROI)?
How does Offline Tracking Work?
Essentially, you upload a file from your customer relationship management (CRM) software, and allow Facebook to match users who were shown your ad. Facebook cross-examines these users with the advertised event and collects the most accurate conversions. With Offline Events, you can measure the effectiveness of your ad campaigns by determining much your Facebook ads result in actual purchases or bookings.
How to Set Up Offline Event Tracking
Setting up offline tracking can be difficult but don’t worry, we’re here to help!
1. In your Business Manager click the drop-down menu located on the upper left-hand side and select “Offline Events”.
2. Select + Add Data Source and choose Offline Event Set from the dropdown menu.
3. Name your event. This can be anything, preferably the name of the event/conversion you are tracking. After you name your event click “Create”.
4. Select the ad account you are tracking the event for. If your account is not showing, use the above search bar to locate it.
5. Once your account is selected, choose the people you want to have access to the event.
6. Upload your CRM documents.
Metrics to Use to Collect Data
There are many metrics that can be used when setting up offline tracking. Below are the ones we have determined to be most beneficial:
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- First Name
- Last Name
- Event Time
- Event Name
How to View Results
Step 1: Head to your Ads Manager and click “Columns” on the right-hand side.
Step 2: Click “Customize Columns.”
Step 3: Select “Conversions.”
Step 4: In the search bar, type in “Offline” and choose the event you used in the file. Conversely, you can scroll through the conversions and choose the offline event.
Then, the offline conversion event should appear in the ads manager metric like any other measurement.
There you have it! A complete guide on what Facebook Offline tracking is and how to set it up. Now, you should be able to completely track your walk-ins and purchases that may appear offline and if they attribute to your ads. This will help further optimize your ads and give you a lot more control of your ad spend.